Laptops, just like phones and other electronic devices, are now part of our everyday life, but somehow there are a lot of us that have never looked at a laptop in technicality. A laptop is essential for our daily life whether we work or study. It has also become a very popular device for its portability which means it can be carried anywhere you go. This makes it an excellent example of our advanced technology.
But one day or another, you will either be curious or stuck in a jiff, either a situation where you want to upgrade and exchange your older laptop in the deal or to find out whether your laptop’s specs are good enough to play certain videos games, or maybe you want to check whether your laptop is capable of the type of work you are doing is where you must know what type of laptop do you have?
Some of us may even have some of the best laptops lying around at home, which we mostly use, or somebody else buys one for us so we can do our occasional assignment or just binge-watch movies on Netflix. In such cases, we may not even know the laptop model or what the specs are. Not everyone is tech-savvy or a professional who can easily find out the specs and all the details in a few clicks. It is however essential for you to learn about these things. Now to answer your question, “what type of laptop do I have?” then let’s get straight down to help you find out the answer to that.
Important steps to follow for you to find out what type of laptop you have:
We will briefly explain the steps down below. However, if you are not patient enough that no worries as you can watch the video down below which guides you through the whole process.
First thing first, you probably know the manufacturer of your laptop because the obvious brand logos on the laptop, like Dell or HP, or Mac’s Apple, are hard to miss. Laptop logos are printed on every laptop, especially on the back of your laptop which can easily be seen. But the model number will get you down to the real details like what your specs are and etc. In case you have a gaming laptop you will probably find the logo if you turn your laptop around and look at the bottom. Let’s now find out what the steps are.
Steps To Follow
- There is a certainty that you can find the model number directly from a sticker located on your laptop. These stickers are usually pasted on the bottom of your laptop, where you’ll see a logo and small text on it. In most cases, the model and are brand listed together, for example, but in others, you’ll find the model number only, or both listed separately, e.g., as an example, one of Dell’s laptop have just “Inspiron 552” written on the bottom sticker (which is the model number).
- If your case is different and there is no sticker or information available on the hardware of your laptop, and somebody told you that you might need to open the bottom cap or something to find it out. Then there is a much better and safer way to take it, which is to find out through software. The method of finding the Laptop Model number through the control panel is simple and easy.
- Click on the search field at the bottom of your screen and type and search “control panel” in that. It will immediately bring up search results, and you have to click on the first result saying “Control Panel.”
- A window will open; click on the first option called “Security and Settings.”
- Click on the “System” link.
- This will bring up the required information about your computer. And you’ll be able to find the laptop’s brand and model from there.
How can I find my laptop specs and where to find them?
Finding the specifications of your laptop once you have the model and brand is quite easy. Even if the case is that you have upgraded your hardware, for example, your ram memory it can easily be found if you follow the simple steps. Detailed specifications of your laptop, originally installed into it by the manufacturers or even if you have upgraded your laptop are quite easy to find. Remember there are two ways of finding out your specs which we are going to discuss in the steps down below.
Steps To Find
- To find out the specifications of your laptop. Go to the website of the laptop’s manufacturer and search the model number there, and you’ll be given results that will most probably include the complete and detailed specifications of your laptop. In case this doesn’t work, you can simply search on the web with the model and brand, and you’ll find results that will have all the information on the specs of your laptop.
- In case you think that the hardware is not what was originally installed by the manufacturer, then there is a quite simple way to find out the current specifications of your laptop through system software.
- You can right-click on “my computer” and then click on the properties option which you can see at the bottom. After clicking on it you can see the detailed spec information mentioned in a new pop-up window.
- Alternatively, for more detailed spec information like your video card, audio devices, and connected devices, go to the search bar at the bottom left side of your screen and type “dxdiag” in the box.
- Click on the result saying “Dxdiag.”
- It will open up a window with multiple tabs, all showing different information about your laptop, including the basic CPU, GPU, RAM, and sound details.
- dxdiag gives you more detailed information compared to what you will see when you click on properties. Therefore, it is preferable for you to try this step.
Now that you can tell what type of laptop do I have, things will be much easier. You can make an exchange deal and get the justified price of your laptop or do an upgrade much easily. You can also buy a game knowing that your laptop will be able to power it up. If in case nothing works for you, which we are pretty sure won’t be the case, you can always turn to third-party software to help you find the model and brand of your laptop, along with detailed specifications. You should always use third-party software with caution as it can also be dangerous for your laptop.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to upgrade my laptop?
You may be wondering if you can upgrade your laptop like you would a desktop computer. The answer is sometimes yes or no. Most gaming laptops are upgradable while on the other hand, some notebooks (made for work) do not come with extra slots for you to upgrade. It is always better for you to check with your laptop manufacturer for upgrade options.
What type of laptop can be the best for me?
When you are buying a laptop, you should check the laptop’s specs first. If the laptop comes with a powerful processor like, intel core i5 or core i7 that means this is a good processor. After that, you should take a look at RAM and Storage later. Depending on what kind of work you are doing and your expectations you can choose the type of laptop you want.