Laptops, just like phones and other electronic devices, are now part of our everyday life, but somehow there are a lot of us that have never looked at a laptop in technicality. This mobile device is our go-to after our phones, but we don’t know much about it just yet. But one day or another, you will either be curious or stuck in a jiff, either a situation where you want to upgrade and exchange your older laptop in the deal or to find out whether your laptop’s specs are good enough to play certain videos games, is where you must know what type of laptop do you have?
It usually happens that we either have a laptop lying around at home, which we mostly use, or somebody else buys one for us so we can do our occasional assignment or just binge-watch movies on Netflix. But now that you come to the question, “what type of laptop do I have?” then let’s get straight down to help you find out the answer to that.
How to find out what type of laptop you have
First thing first, you probably know the manufacturer of your laptop because the obvious brand logos on the laptop, like Dell or HP, or Mac’s Apple, are hard to miss. But it’s the model number that’s going to get you down to the real details, so let’s find that out first.
Steps To Follow
- There is a certainty that you can find the model number directly from a sticker located on your laptop. These stickers are usually pasted on the bottom of the computer, where you’ll see a logo and small text on it. In most cases, the model and are brand listed together, for example, but in others, you’ll find the model number only, or both listed separately, e.g., one of Dell’s laptop have just “Inspiron 552” written on the bottom sticker (which is the model number).
- If your case is different and there is no sticker or information available on the hardware of your laptop, and somebody told you that you might need to open the bottom cap or something to find it out. Then there is a much better and safer way to take, and that is to find out through software. The method to finding the Laptop Model number through the control panel is simple and easy.
- Click on search field at the bottom of your screen and type and search “control panel” in that. It will immediately bring up search results, and you have to click on the first result saying “Control Panel.”
- A window will open; click on the first option called “Security and Settings.”
- Click on the “System” link.
- This will bring up the required information about your computer. And you’ll be able to find the laptop’s brand and model from there.
What specs does my laptop currently have?
Finding the specifications of your laptop once you have the model and brand is quite easy. But we are expecting that you have made no changes or upgrades to the hardware of your laptop. If you have made changes, it’ll probably be RAM or something similar, which we will show you how to find out in the next step. But for detailed specifications of your laptop, originally installed into it by the manufacturers are quite easy to find.
Steps To Find
- To find out the specifications of your laptop. Go to the website of the laptop’s manufacturer and search the model number there, and you’ll be given results that will most probably include the complete and detailed specifications of your laptop. In case this doesn’t work, you can simply search on the web with the model and brand, and you’ll find results that will have all the information on the specs of your laptop.
- In case that you think that the hardware is not what was originally installed by the manufacturer, then there is a quite simple way to find out the current specifications of your laptop through system software.
- Go to the search bar at the bottom left side of your screen and type “dxdiag” in the box.
- Click on the result saying “Dxdiag.”
- It will open up a window with multiple tabs, all showing different information about your laptop, including the basic CPU, GPU, RAM, and sound.
Now that you can tell what type of laptop do I have, things will be much easier. You can make an exchange deal and get the justified price of your laptop or do an upgrade much easily. You can also buy a game knowing that your laptop will be able to power it up. If in case nothing works for you, which we are pretty sure won’t be the case, you can always turn to third-party software to help you find the model and brand of your laptop, along with detailed specifications.